Google
 

The Ultimate Guide for switching from a PC to a Mac
(Part 2 - coming soon)

Monday, March 19, 2007

Solve accent issues on many websites!

This is another great tip submitted by Dominic Tremblay. The websites created in iWeb have issues with displaying the right accent in French, Spanish and many other languages. iWeb works great for creating websites and uploading them to .Mac but it's still not perfect with publishing it to a folder. Many North-American and European hosting are using Latin-1 as encoding. Latin-1 supports many languages including French, Spanish, German, etc but it does not support every languages. That is why Apple only offers Unicode(UTF-8) with iWeb and .Mac. The issue is iWeb forces you to use Unicode(UTF-8) but not all hostings support it. I received many email from peoples who had difficulty with their iWeb websites and it was because their hosting was only offering other encoding such as Latin-1. The solution is simple and it is to add a file called ".htaccess" that contains the following:

AddCharset UTF-8 .html

It is sometimes preferable to call it "htaccess" without the "." until it is
uploaded to the server because all files starting with a "." in OS X are hidden. You can rename it once it is on the server and the accent shoud then be displayed fine! Thanks Dominic!

6 Comments:

Blogger deakin said...

but where to get this file?

March 19, 2007 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger MacGeek said...

You create it in text edit like any html file. You only have to copy and paste that line of code in it. Be sure to swith to Plain Text before saving it. You then call it .htaccess It is best to leave out the "." because files starting with a "." are hidden in OS X. You can rename it once it's on the server.

MacGeek

March 19, 2007 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger MacTipper said...

Check this out. It tells you how to make HTML files easily.

March 19, 2007 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger deakin said...

got it~ thanks~

March 21, 2007 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Cady said...

Hi, I've tried this and uploaded the html file as suggested, but it doesn't seem to work... any ideas where I'm going wrong? This is the site: http://www.val-d-or.co.uk

I've previously had to change the name of an accented word in the blog entry title, as an accent would prevent the page from uploading properly, but the accents always showed up fine on the page after I did this... that's all of a sudden stopped happening and now all the accents are messing up on screen.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :o)

May 8, 2008 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger dfadf said...

follow up with another email after a few days
Microsoft Office
often acknowledging that maybe the person
Office 2010
didn't get my message due to email trouble on my
Microsoft Office 2010
end (which, when I was in graduate school, was
Office 2010 key
For repeat offenders, I just use the phone whenever
Office 2010 download
Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.
Office 2010 Professional
I will be checking back for any new articles
I’ll likely be coming back to your blog. Keep up great writing. Find your great Travel News and sing the songs at Free Song Lyric or you can watch the drama at
Microsoft outlook
Outlook 2010
Thanks for kindly sharing it with us. Very well done indeed
Windows 7
Microsoft outlook 2010

November 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Brain Toniq. Clear the head fog
Pay Per Click Ads by pay per click advertising by Kontera